Presented by David Whitcomb in the multi purpose room at the Shattuck St Bldg 41 Shattuck St
Mr. Whitcomb tells us why Long Pond became Long Lake. Until the early 20th century the kettle pond in our town known as Long Pond, circled by woods and cow pastures, was inaccessible to all but a few hardy fishermen. By 1915 Town Road had been built and we had a beach for swimming.
In 1925 with developer Warren Smadbeck purchasing the waterfront properties of four large farms, our fishing pond was about to change profoundly.