2021 Benjamin Shattuck House
In 1717, 1 100-acres ministerial lot was granted from the town. A home was built for Rev. Benjamin Shattuck, Littleton’s first town minister and town moderator. the house now sits on what is known as 11 Shattuck St.
Rev. Shattuck was dismissed from his ministry in 1730 although he continued to live at his homestead until his death in 1787. He and his wife Martha (Sherman) raised nine children.
According to prior research Elisa Wellington owned the home next and around 1840, Oliver Ayer, the third Baptist Minister occupied the house for a short time.
Family records indicate that George Lawrence owned the home at the time of his death in 1848. It was then transferred to his son-in-law Nathan Haywood Hartwell who had married Elisa Jane Lawrence in 1854.
The house is currently owned by Nathan the younger’s great granddaughter making the house owned by the Hartwell family for over 170 years.