Presented by Society President and life-long resident of Littleton, David Whitcomb. David tells us why Long Pond became Long Lake. Until the early 20th century the kettle pond in our town known as Long Pond, circled by woods and cow pastures, was inaccessible to all but a few hardy fishermen. By 1915 Town Road had been built and we had a beach for swimming. In 1925, with developer Warren Smadbeck purchasing the waterfront properties of four large farms, our fishing pond was about to change profoundly.